Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The BIG news!

October 6, 2012

Today started out as a normal day, but it turned out to be one of the most memorable days of my life.  In the Saturday morning session of General Conference President Thomas S. Monson announced that, effective immediately, young men will be eligible to serve missions at the age of 18, and young women will be given the opportunity to serve at age 19.  That moment was life-changing for me. Three years. I was supposed to have three years to think about, plan, and prepare to serve a mission. Now the opportunity is a short 8 months away.  To quote one of my good friends, "Just when I thought I had the next year of my life all figured out, good ol' Tommy Monson threw a curve ball."  It's true. This announcement has drastically affected the lives of thousands, maybe even millions of individuals.  All around me I see young men and women altering education plans, work plans, and life plans to answer the call to serve the Lord.  BYU students are going crazy...everyone is trying to sell housing contracts, meet with their bishops, and rush to their dental offices.  All of this is kind of scary to me. I'm filled with excitement and wonder, but am I ready? I guess it's time to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment