Monday, April 28, 2014

Jehovah's Witnesses and Police Officers...

Hola queridos,

Thanks for the emails! It's been a good week in Rio Grande! I love it here. So...last week...gotta do some catching up...Kimberly's going to prom, eh? Cool beans. Make sure to send me pictures! :) And Matthew...decisions decisions...which of the many fair maidens will take him to the ball?

Alright...so first off...mom asked about Mother's Day. I'm just gonna be completely honest and say that I forgot because it's true. The problem is that Mother's Day in Argentina is in October...so no one is talking about it and the time goes by so quickly half the time I still think we're in February. They haven't told us anything about how that's gonna work...but I assume we'll have to skype from a members house since we can't come to the ciber on Sundays...we'll see. I'll let you know next week!

This week we're going to be traveling to Ushuaia on Wednesday at 5:00PM...all day Thursday we'll be in the conference with Elder Gonzalez and then we'll probably get to go see something that evening. Friday morning at 5:00AM we'll be back on the bus coming home...errr back to Rio Grande that is. Haha. It's only three hours though on colectivo so it's not too bad. I'm super excited though! Apparently there's snow...:) All the cold weather puts me in the Christmas mood though. I find myself singing Christmas songs in the streets as we walk. Weird.

Well...this week we had lots of run ins with Jehova's witnesses. I have all the latest pamphlets. There are so many here and they're not usually very nice. I'm not their biggest fan. All they want to do is Bible bash...and they're really good at it...the funny thing is they tell us we need to work on our door approach or people aren't gonna like us...when we knock doors, we always introduce ourselves and talk a little bit...offer service...and then ask if we can share a message the blesses families and centers on the teachings of Jesus Christ. Clearly we've been doing it wrong...shoving a million scriptures in someone's face and telling them they're going to hell is the way to do it. Duhh.

Ooooh funny story...the other day Elder Elliz called me to practice his English..."Seester...yur late." "You come to duh chursh" "I hab duh books orv merrrmons." Listening to latinos try to speak English never gets old, che. Anyway...Hermana Garavito and I went to the church to pick up our little blue books of mormon. Elder Elliz was talking to Elder Verges on the phone! (the new mission secretary..hahha) Anyway, I got to talk to him for a little bit. He's doing really well and talked with Hermana Hundley just the other day since he has to do visa paperwork with her companion. She's doing really well which made me happy to hear:) Hermana Hundley, Elder Ramos, Elder Scogin, and Elder Verges are all gonna be in Comodoro this week for the conference with Elder Gonzalez...forget Ushuaia...send me to Comodoro! It's gonna be an awesome reunion. That district in Rawson was the best ever...and then there's Elder Ramos who was our zone leader. Jaja.

The members here in Rio Grande aren't super motivated to work with us...which shows in the lunches.  We have lunch with members every Tuesday and Thursday....wanna know when the Elders have lunch? Every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday...and two Sundays...how does this happen? Don't these people know that the Hermana's are wayyy better? Plus we eat less! Who knows. Elder Tarwater has a good time teasing us about it though..."Today we eat with Hermana Meretta...I love how she always makes milanesa...oh wait...you've never eaten with her have you?" "Oh, today we eat with the Familia Barria...when do you eat with them next? Oh...you never eat with them...well this is awkward" The kid reminds me so much of Matthew it's ridiculous. That's a good thing though...usually:) Haha...today though the Elders are making us french toast. Should be yummy. You can never be sure though with the Elders.

Oh...another story...this week the police stopped Hermana Garavito and me! We were walking doing some contacts and I noticed two police officers. One said something to the other and then they started walking towards us...I was freaked out and ready to pretend that I don't speak any Spanish (just like I always do when I'm in a bad situation like when I don't have my ticket on the bus...just stare say, "EspaƱol no. English." They just look at you, roll their eyes, and continue on the next person. It's the best ever!) Anyway, the police officers stopped us and asked us if we were overage...errr...of age? I don't remember how we say that...anyway we said yes, and then they asked our nationality...I really didn't want to answer that question because lots of people here don't like Americans since they associate us with Great Britain and the whole thing with the Galapagos Islands that now belong to Great Britaint but were once Argentina's...anyway it's a sensitive subject here especially in the south since the islands are right off the coast. Well...turns out they were looking for Argentine witnesses...who knows for what. But we dodged a bullet there. It scared me half to death.

Well...I gotta finish up. Have a fantastic week! I love you all! Thanks for all the prayers espeically in this last week! We're seeing lots of miracles as a mission:) Don't forget to read your scriptures! Also...what time do you have church so I can arrange for when we talk in a couple of weeks!

I love you sooo much!!
Chau chau!

Hermana Heath

This, my dear friends, is what happens when it rains in Rio Grande.

Argentine sunsets:) Right from my front door!

No comments:

Post a Comment