Monday, November 18, 2013

Patience is a Virtue

Hola Familia!!

I loved hearing about how you're all doing! I don't know why but it made me super happy today. Maybe because I've thought about you a LOT this week. I was so excited to hear about Justin's baptism!! That's awesome. Often times when I babysat the McDonald's he was playing with Steven. He's a good kid. That's so cool that you got to baptize him, dad!! You are such a great example for the young men in our ward. They all admire and look up to you so much..as do I!! Glad to hear Kimberly is doing well in TDT and school. Matthew, chapter 4 is a beast. I remember well. Good luck, bud!! You can do it! Emily...well, I've never written a 30 page paper...but I assume it's less than enjoyable. I hope you're enjoying school. You're getting pretty close to finals aren't you? Just a few weeks away if I remember correctly? How many games does Craig have left? Still cheering from Argentina:) Good luck this week!

This week has been one giant test of patience. Okay, so I think that's how you spell patience but I'm not sure...pacience...patients...patience...oh well. You get the picture. This week we had hardly any lessons, and even fewer lessons with members. We walked around a lot without finding people. There were still, however, lots of little miracles along the way!! We found a girl, Leonela, who is really interested in our message. We gave her a pamphlet the first time we met her (through an inactive ward member) and she read it, prayed, felt good, and has lots and lots of questions. She's Catholic but says that she doesn't know why. We have a lesson with her this upcoming week. She's great and we're praying really hard for her!

This week Elder Acuña and Elder Verges had two baptisms. Mario and Gabriel. They are friends that the Elders taught. Maybe...25ish years old. Elder Verges asked me to play the piano so I did prelude and we sang Nearer My God to Thee and Choose the Right for the opening and closing songs. Earlier that afternoon, Hermana Cortes and I made cookies...wait for it...but not just any cookies. We made North American cookies. The cookies here in Argentina are wayyy different. No one makes cookies from scratch, so it was like Christmas for all the Argentines. So funny. Everyone was obsessed. They weren't even that good because the brown sugar here is super sketchy and you can only buy baking soda in pharmacies here. What the?! Also, no chocolate chips, so we used "rocklets" which are basically m&m's but the Argentine version. Good times. It was really fun though. We had to cook them in the church since we don't have a kitchen. Oh, and the oven? You can't set it at a certain temperature because it's a fire underneath the boards so baking them was quite the adventure. Anyway, the baptism was great. It's days like those that make all the hard times worth it. Even though it wasn't a baptism of someone we have been teaching, we're all working together in the same work. We're all on the same team striving for one goal, and that is to bring Heavenly Father's children back to His presence. Such a special day:)

It is so hot here. Holy nutso. It's definitely warmer than 70 degrees, but I never know for sure because everything is in celsius. So frustrating. I'm starting to get the hang of it...but really, fahrenheit is so much easier. It makes so much more sense. Anyway, we all know that there's no central heating in Argentina...well...the same applies for air conditioning. Non-existent. So we're pretty much hot all the time. I've got nabby tan lines on my feet from my grandma shoes...like really bad. Oh well, what can ya do? But really, I'm glad it's warm and not cold:) It's still super windy, so that helps us to not die everyday.

This week was the first experience with bugs...to be more specific...BED BUGS! yayyy. I've got several bites on my legs from bedbugs...and I'm using my spray...but I'm probably gonna have to find something here as well that will help. Sweet.

This last week on Tuesday we had zone conference with President and Sister Rogers. Trelew North and Trelew South were there...which means Hermana Kuhn!! It was sooo good to see her. We sat next to each other and tried to be reverent:) But the zone conference was amazing. President Rogers is so great...plus he's got a cackle that just might be able to beat Jilene Mecham. PRICELESS. Never gets old. Hermana Rogers is so sweet and takes really good care of the Hermanas:) I absolutely ADORE her.

And now...I know the only thing you really want to hear about is the PENGUINS!! On Thursday morning President Rogers took all the missionaries in Trelew to see the penguins in Punta Tombo. It was about a 2 hour drive, but President Rogers said that he wants to make sure that we get to see the sites while we're here since lots of us won't be able to come back to our missions. Anyway, all the Hermanas drove in the car with President and his wife. The Elders all had to take a bus. Hahahaha. Let's just say that buses here are worse than the white roller coaster at Lagoon. So bumpy. Anyway, we went through a visitors center and then went to see the penguins. All of them are Magellan penguins, and there are hundreds...probably thousands of penguins everywhere you look. We had marked trails that we had to stay on, but there were penguins within 5 feet of us at times. Plus, they can walk wherever so they would walk across the trail (kind of like the bufalo in Yellowstone!! DREAM COME TRUE. you all know how much I love it when we have to stop the car for the bufalo...this time it was for the penguins:)) Anyway, they were everywhere with their nests. We saw lots of eggs and when we finally got to the ocean, there were lots chillin' on the beach or playing in the water. It was sooo pretty there. I got lots and lots of pictures, but it was a moment that I really wanted to share with my family. It's absolutely beautiful there:) Anyway, it was awesome. We ate lunch at a restaurant, and then we got back in the car and enjoyed a nice siesta:) Every single missionary was passed out, in our car and in the bus of Elders. Too funny...okay so I know that last week I mentioned 101 Dalmatians...but I have to reference it again. You know the scene where all the puppies go to the barn and drink the milk and then the next scene is the parents looking at all the sleeping puppies? Yep, that was us with President and Sister Rogers. Hahaha.

Oh, do you know what? Next week...well Saturday...I am teaching English!! My companion signed me up. I never agreed...and I'm not sure how I feel about it seeing as I don't know the grammar rules of English...but we'll see what happens. One hour on Saturdays from now on. I guess it'll be fun? 

I got to give a talk in Sacrament Meeting yesterday about missionary work along with Hermana Cortes and Elder Verges. Terrifying, but it went well. The members here are so incredibly supportive. They are so loving and kind...especially toward the Hermanas. They all call me "hermanita" and they call us "las estrellas" (the stars) because it's been so long since they've had sister missionaries. I think the Elders secretly resent us a little bit for it:) hahaha jokes jokes, but really. Everyone in the ward jumps at any chance to do something to help the Hermanas. These people are wonderful. Also, you should know that every day at lunch with the members they pray for you. It always makes me want to cry. It's hard being away from home and away from our families, and they know that. They always pray for your safety, well-being, and happiness. It's the sweetest thing. I think the members here pray for you more than I do!! Well...probably not..but they do pray for you a lot:)

I was a little bit sad to hear that Bugs died....(Hercules is the little one) but I must say it was about time. I hope you said something kind before flushing him down the toilet.

Mom, you were wondering about Hermana Cortes. She's awesome. She's from Colombia. She's 21 years old (turns 22 on November 27th). She is the only member of her family. She was introduced to the church at age 17, but had to wait until she was 18 to baptize because her parents wouldn't give her permission. She helps me so much. She's really sweet, but just like all the women here, she has a very strong personality and is not afraid to ask favors or say what she thinks. Luckily, she seems to like me so we get along just fine:)

Anyway, I hope you're all doing really well! I love you so much. Thank you for all your prayers and your support. It means the world to me!! Today we're going to Trelew to play with all the missionaries. Should be fun...and Hermana Kuhn will be there! She is doing really well.

Have a fantastic week!!
I love you forever and always!!

Hermana Heath

No comments:

Post a Comment